Thursday, December 11, 2014

MTHF and Folic Acid

I'm sure you all have heard it all over the internet, especially recently.
MTHF is a genetic mutation that prevents our bodies from breaking down synthetic folate (aka Folic Acid).
The more I read last night, the more I became convinced that I need to drop my current prenatal supplements (I found one here), and start taking 5- Methylfolate instead.
No, I have not had the testing done. I don't have the means to pay for it. But I would rather be on the safe side since there are so many indicators that I could have the genetic mutation. And if simply switching my supplements could help prevent a second Spina Bifida baby? Sure, why not? I figure, if I don't have the mutation, what's it going to hurt anyway? The only difference is, people who have the genetic mutation aren't able to break down the Folic Acid, and it can actually be harmful to their health.
I am stubborn, but in my research I like to be thorough.
Now my only problem is getting rid of 300 prenatal pills so I can replace them!

No comments:

Post a Comment